10 October 2012
49 Taking Tea with Miss Havisham
artist's book commission to complete and most satisfyingly my brief is merely a delightful title, Taking Tea with Miss Havisham. I'd show you more but I'm never really sure of the etiquette of sharing these things when I haven't sought permission. I am hoping you can help me though: what dainty morsels do you suppose Miss Havisham might have fed her guests? Brandy snaps seem suitably fragile, but what else? According to Charles Dicken's I shall also need candles, cobwebs, and speckle-legged spiders, but I think I shall forego the latter!
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
A note for those who don't always want their images to appear on Pinterest. Did you know that even where you have a 'Pin It' button installed, as I do here as I did here before it stopped working, you can override that facility by adding a short piece of code to individual photographs. It won't stop the most dedicated picture thieves, but it might give some a moment's pause. I'm happy for 95% of my images to be shared, so it would be nice if the inclined-to-be-naughty folk could respect my desire not to have the other 5% devalued by duplication across Pinterest!
And while I'm sharing things, don't forget that today is the last day for blackberry picking if the old folklore is to be believed. Tomorrow is when Michaelmas - The Feast of St. Michael and All Angels - would have fallen if the Gregorian calendar hadn't been introduced back in 1752, and it's reputedly the anniversary of the day when Satan was banished from heaven and plummeted, cursing, into a bramble patch**. Me, I don't believe a word of it and will be picking for as long as the fruit is good!
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
* But not when it's as wet out there as it has been recently. In rainy years your best option is to cut fresh and use silica gel.
** Or spitting, or worse, according to the locality of the storyteller. The Archangel St. Michael, of course, famously defeated Satan: "...there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. But he was not strong enough, and they lost ..." (That's from Revelations, but please don't ask me for chapter and verse. I only know this stuff because, poor unfortunate that I am, I once had to write a paper on Milton's Paradise Lost!)
Click here to subscribe to free updates via email and never miss a post again.